Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 8: Art of the Dynamic Handgun

I wanted to post a brief review on the best training video series I have viewed to date, Magpul Dynamics: The Art of the Dynamic Handgun. This is a 4-disc DVD set recently released by Magpul, containing over 7 hours of footage from their handgun instructional classes plus bonus material.


I had been watching bits and pieces of the series between my academic obligations over the past few weeks and finally found time to finish it this afternoon. The first two DVDs focus on fundamentals, shooting positions, and combat scenarios. The third disc emphasizes aspects of concealed carry, and the third disc covers handgun accessories, drills, and outtakes.

One of my favorite aspects of the set was a bonus feature titled “Combat Mindset – Reality Check” by instructor Travis Haley on the second disc. Without giving anything away, he discloses one of his own personal experiences as a 14-year veteran as a Force Reconnaissance Marine and US military contractor overseas. His story is shocking, but really demonstrates the importance of training and the “why” as well as the “how”.

I highly recommend this series. I’m not usually one to spend money on DVD’s, but I’m really glad I went for this one. I will continue to watch the series many more times and utilize it to help make me a better shooter. I truly hope to be able to afford attending one of their actual training courses in the future, but with my student budget it might be a while.

Magpul has uploaded a preview on YouTube if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment